Unable to make dist after recent changes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Nov 29 17:15:44 EST 2011

On Nov 26, 2011, at 8:25 AM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2011, at 6:13 AM, Robert Fewell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not sure if this is just me but I am unable to make dist the way I used to.
>>
>> I have checked out a completely new repository, done an svn copy, autogen
>> and configure and then do make dist.
>>
>> This fails with "No rule to make target swig-core-utils-python.c needed by
>> 'distdir' ".
>>
>> If I change the core-utils makefile.am from this :-
>>
>> if BUILDING_FROM_SVN
>> swig-core-utils-guile.c: core-utils.i ${top_srcdir}/src/base-typemaps.i
>>  $(SWIG) -guile $(SWIG_ARGS) -Linkage module \
>>  -I${top_srcdir}/src -o $@ $<
>> if WITH_PYTHON
>> swig-core-utils-python.c: core-utils.i ${top_srcdir}/src/base-typemaps.i
>>  $(SWIG) -python -Wall -Werror $(SWIG_ARGS) \
>>  -I${top_srcdir}/src -o $@ $<
>> endif
>> endif
>>
>> to this :-
>>
>> if BUILDING_FROM_SVN
>> swig-core-utils-guile.c: core-utils.i ${top_srcdir}/src/base-typemaps.i
>>  $(SWIG) -guile $(SWIG_ARGS) -Linkage module \
>>  -I${top_srcdir}/src -o $@ $<
>>
>> swig-core-utils-python.c: core-utils.i ${top_srcdir}/src/base-typemaps.i
>>  $(SWIG) -python -Wall -Werror $(SWIG_ARGS) \
>>  -I${top_srcdir}/src -o $@ $<
>> endif
>>
>> it works which is the same format as the app-utils makefile.am
>>

>> Also, r21570 changed the makefile.am file which removed the 'qif-io-core'
>> directory from the build but it is still in the configure.ac file and
>> so you are unable to build gnucash, if you remove the entries on line
>> 1288,1289 it builds. What I am not sure is if whether the directory should
>> be included
>> or not, if it is, it fails to build mentioning 'qif-account-table.scm'.
>>

> Thanks. That will be my fault, so I'll have a look at it a little later this morning.

I've just committed the requisite fixes, and distcheck now works on my Mac. But there's an older problem that causes make check to fail on Debian Squeeze and Fedora 12 if Gnucash hasn't been installed. Since distcheck does exactly that, it fails too. I'm bisecting to try and figure out what is the quick fix (after banging on it for three days *didn't* solve the problem).

The actual problem is the way we retrieve some modules, using gnc_path_get_stdreportdir() (for standard reports) and gnc_path_get_pkglibdir() (for the engine backends). Neither of those as written will work with uninstalled libraries, so the tests fail. But that change went in early last year, and the tests didn't start failing until a changeset from some time this spring.

Regards,
John Ralls