GnuCash Network Failure -- but back up now.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 26 08:25:04 EDT 2011

Hey all,

You may have noticed an outage since about 1pm US EDT yesterday.  There
was a total network failure and my network provider (Comcast Business
Class) didn't actually track it down until this morning.  It should be
all fixed now and services should be up and running normally.  I am very
sorry for the inconvenience.

Long version:

At shortly after 1pm I noticed my network was out and I couldn't get to
any websites.  I quickly determined that I could only get 3 hops out
into Comcast's network so I called Comcast support to report the
problem.  I spent an hour on the phone with them during which time they
blamed me for bad settings on my systems!!!!  Stupid first-line techs.

Anyways, I escalated and was supposed to get a callback from 2nd tier
support within 4 hours.  That didn't happen so I called back again
around 7pm only to be told that no, it was an 8 hour callback window.
Of course I never got the callback.

This morning I called back yet again and this time the tech worked
through the problem.  He could ping my gateway address but NOT ping my
router..  At which point he FINALLY started troubleshooting.  They
finally determined that someone had "stolen" my network block so he was
pinging their modem and not mine.

They reset my modem and voila, it's all working again.  At least until
that other guy calls in and resets his modem, too...   *sigh*

Anyways, we're back up (for now).  HOPEFULLY this wont happen again.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.