Request: additional lists.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Sep 13 10:22:22 EDT 2011

On dinsdag 13 september 2011, David Prieto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to accounting and taking an accounting course where we're
> being taught a proprietary solution. I have chosen to take the chance to
> practice using Gnucash, too, which has this far been pretty impressive for
> every task we've had to work on.
>
> There is a suggestion I'd like to make, though: When I try to find certain
> elements (customers, invoices, jobs, vendors, bills, employees and
> expenses) I only have two options: create a new one, or search an existing
> one.
>
> Why not offer *a list* of the existing elements in these categories so that
> the user can keep track of the whole list? Why not use the search as a
> filter, so that if it's left blank you get the whole list instead of not
> getting any results? Why not have that list as a tab (e.g. a customers
> tab), same as you have an accounts tab?

Actually, I recently implemented Customers/Vendor/Employee lists recently in
the development version of GnuCash. It will appear in the next major GnuCash
release, but not in the 2.4 series.

I skipped lists for invoices so far, because I think such lists are likely too
long to be useful after a couple of years using GnuCash. Perhaps a filtered
invoice/bill list could make sense (like limited to the current year, or
limited to a certain customre/vendor). Anyway this is not implemented (yet?).

Geert