Budgets ... again

Wm Tarr wm.tarr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 23:57:13 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-18 15:17, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, 12. September 2011 um 03:24:30 schrieb Wm Tarr:
> :
>> Extracting data from an SQL backend is much cleaner and just involves
>> one sql script.  Essentially what it does is "normalise" GnuCash's
>> sometimes obscure tables into ones that humans can easily understand,
>> i.e. accounts become viewable as accounts, transactions become viewable
>> as transactions, etc.
> Just for couriosity: where is the normalization broken - with exception of
> the "For backward compatibility use slots for new features" rule?
Using the slots suggests bad design higher up the thinking process of
the db design.  I am not here just to be a critic, Frank.  I *like* GnuCash.

>> I'm new to this list so I'm not sure if it is good manners to post the
>> script here or provide a link.  Hopefully someone will let me know.
>
> If you would link or add it to the wiki - you could create a page explaining
> the issues you see and/or fix - it would not get lost.

Has anyone put
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL
and
http://cloud.github.com/downloads/jralls/gnucash/gnucash_erd.png
together yet?

I don't see the point in repeating work someone else has done.

I am aiming at a dia [1] representation and an SQL script *including*
relationships.  If someone else has already done this I need not waste
my time repeating their process.  Thing is I don't think anyone has done
it yet or if they have tried it didn't work because the underlying
design may be broken <-- I don't know if that is true yet as I have yet
to try.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Dia

--
Wm