GSoC Android proposal

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Apr 5 17:02:45 EDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 8:00 AM, Muslim Chochlov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The good news are that one student (Ngewi Fet) has submitted his proposal for mobile application.
> And AFAIK another one (Atul) is going to submit as well.
> The bad news are that Ngewi's proposal doesn't seem to make it through. Apart from basic information about the application
> he is going to develop there is nothing that can make him stand out of the crowd of other participants. I don't know how many slots Gnome will receive
> but they already have 5-6 very strong proposals and it would be extremely hard for Ngewi to compete with them. Currently I would rate him 2-3 out of 5 and I have to admit I expected more from him.
> You could find his application here [1]
>
> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/ngewif/1

Muslim,

You wrote on your comment to Ngewi's proposal:
> Also it is very important that you understand how import/export in GnuCash works and QIF file format. Because this is the main purpose of the GnuCash mobile application.

You know that there is no export from Gnucash, right? The export menu items write a chart of accounts to an empty Gnucash file or, on reports, write out the HTML from the report to file.

If Ngewi's (or Atul's, if he gets around to writing a proposal) app is to get information from Gnucash I think that the only option is for it to parse the XML data file.

On a related note, Marina Zhurakhinskaya (one of the Gnome admins) is commenting on all proposals that don't have a pointer to an existing contribution. Do either Atul or Ngewi have the C experience to knock out a couple of bugs? It's not really germane to their proposals, because those will be written in Java, but it seems to be a Gnome GSoC requirement.

Regards,
John Ralls