GSoC Android proposal

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Tue Apr 10 16:17:19 EDT 2012

Am Dienstag, 10. April 2012, 01:36:56 schrieb Ngewi Fet:
> After doing a crash course in QFX, I have written a small module for
> outputting expenses in the OFX format which was proposed as a better
> alternative to the QIF format.
> The code can be found here: https://github.com/codinguser/OfxModule
>
> I am grateful for any feedback.

This is very good! The code looks clean, with a sufficiently detailed
architecture to actually see the working code and producing valid OFX.
Obviously you have some good experience with Android Java programming! The way
you are re-using the existing frameworks (e.g. Java Arraylist, org.w3c.dom,
and javax.xml Transformer) is very good.

After seeing that code, I would strongly recommend to write the expense
tracker in Android Java, as you initially proposed. It seems to me you will be
able to get some usable Android prototype running very quickly. You should
then be able to ensure that the interfacing between the Android app and the
actual gnucash data file works really well. With this code example, I'd say
you have a very very high chance to succeed with your complete proposal!
Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Christian

PS: By the way, some people reported they have been able to develop gnucash
using Eclipse as well...