svn - git sync stopped working ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 7 13:26:40 EDT 2012

On 07/08/2012, at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Have the script do "printenv > /tmp/script.env.$$" and then compare the
> environments?
>
> -derek
>
> On Tue, August 7, 2012 11:57 am, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
>>> At least I'm giving you plenty of opportunity to test ;) I've got
>>> another set of patches waiting for the sync to happen before I can svn
>>> dcommit them.
>>>
>>> I hope you can sort this out soon. If there's anything I can do to help,
>>> just let me know.
>>
>> I just ran it manually, so you should be able to git-update now.
>>
>> I can actually test locally using nc. The problem appears to be a subtle
>> difference (not uid or gid) between the environment created by xinetd and
>> my regular shell. If the script is launched by xinetd it fails, but if I
>> run it from a regular shell it works.

Wasn't all that subtle after all, it was $PATH. For reasons known only to the gods, between 20:31 July 15th (the last successful run) and 00:31 on the 16th (the first failure), xinetd decided to stop loading the PATH set in my environment when executing the script and so got the distro-installed version of git. I've added an explicit PATH setting to the script and now it works from nc again.

Regards,
John Ralls