Git Migration: github with svn access

Reuben Cummings reubano at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 04:32:56 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger
<frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Reuben,
>
> Am 11.08.2012 09:55, schrieb Reuben Cummings:
>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger
>> <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> :
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git
>>> Where is the Problem? ;-)
>>>
>>> Frank
>>
>> Yes, I have read that. Look at the directions for sending a patch and
>> notice the comment that forking github projects doesn't work. Compare
>> that to the widespread github work-flow of forking a repo, committing
>> changes, and then submitting a pull request. The latter is *much* more
>> user friendly than manually creating patches, logging into bugzilla,
>> filling a bug, submitting a patch...
>>

> Because of http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Subversion#SVN_write_access the
> first time you should send your patches via bugzilla.

Yes, I figured the round-a-bout patch submission method is due to
maintain svn compatibility. But that still doesn't answer my original
question of a "time-frame for full github integration". A perfectly
acceptable answer is "No, gnucash will never be fully integrated with
github because we want to maintain svn access." If that is the case,
then so be it.

I do understand that there are many legacy developers on svn, but if
you do truly wish to expand the development base, I think full github
integration is the way to go. I'm not intending to start a flame war
on git vs. svn. I'm just saying that (1) the current barrier to entry
for contributing code to gnucash [1] via github is significantly
higher than it is for other mainstream repos, i.e., jekyll [2] and (2)
discouraging forking is very anti git IMHO (not to mention that it
also diminishes gnucash's popularity on github). If you are aware of
and accept those drawbacks as a trade-off for supporting svn, then
please say so. If not, then I'm sure the gnucash community could try
to figure out the best long term solution. I'm by no means an expert
in git but am happy to contribute my ideas as a user.

[1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash
[2] https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll

> When I tested git, it was easy really easy to submit patches.
> But in between, because I prefer revision numbers over hashes, I stick
> with svn. Once configured in http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Eclipse also
> easy to use.

Thanks for the link but I prefer coding in text editors as opposed to IDEs.