Git Migration: where to host the master repository

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 14 10:11:04 EDT 2012

Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> On 2012-08-13, at 13:55, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> If nothing else it would
>> reduce my bandwitdh consumption significantly ;)
>
> Yes, I was thinking about this too :-)

It's mostly an issue when someone does a git-svn clone ;)

>> I just still feel that the master repo should be on code, and that the
>> committers should be able to push there.  Then it can sync to github for
>> everyone else.
>>
>> I suppose it could work in reverse, where the committers push to github
>> master and then code pulls from there, but I don't like that as much for
>> reasons that I'm still apparently not able to clearly explain.
>
> Since Git is distributed, the above two strategies are the same. The
> only difference is which repo will be behind by several hours or
> minutes depending on the pull frequency.

True.  I could set up code to pull from github in near real-time based
on either an email or web kick.  I don't know if there's some way to
send github an event to kick off a pull from code.

>> But just to reiterate, I am NOT saying we should not use github.  I'm
>> only saying that I feel the canonical repository should still live on
>> code.
>
> Agreed. Canonical though is a matter of consensus, again because of
> Git's distributed nature. I agree that we should 'bless'
> code.gnucash.org as canonical.

That's a good way to put it.