Tag builds from git

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Aug 16 18:20:30 EDT 2012

Derek,

Thanks, that's probably it. I remember having problems with the newlines
in trunk as well.

I believe this problem is due to the switch from svn to git: in svn we
have set the property
svn:eol-style LF
on all source files. This ensures the files have LF line endings.

An equivalent exists for git, but I don't think it has been set in our
repositories. As such configure.ac is checked out with CRLF line
endings. And due to this empty lines are no longer ignored by
AC_CONFIG_FILES (it still contains a CR).

So the solution can be either one of
- figuring out how to use the git equivalent of svn:eol-style LF. git
help config has some basic information on safecrlf and autocrlf, but it
mostly refers to man gitattributes for more information. I haven't had
time to look deeper.
- remove the empty lines. This can be a quick workaround to get 2.4.11
and future tags to build. But we should really investigate a proper line
ending configuration. Without it trying to check in a one line change
from a Windows PC will result in the complete file seen as modified due
to changing line endings.

In any case, I think the tag builds from git will have to wait until
this is fixed.

Geert