First git based automated build

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 17 09:49:17 EDT 2012

Geert,

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On 16-08-12 15:13, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
>>
>>> The first git based builds for trunk are successfully uploaded to the
>>> code.gnucash.org server. Note that they appear on top of the list,
>>> because they are named gnucash-git-... instead of gnucash-svn-...
>> Excellent.
>>
>>> Also since git hashes are not sequential as the svn revision numbers
>>> were, the uploaded packages are no longer ordered chronologically. To
>>> fix this it may be a good idea to add the build date in the package
>>> name, so the packages would be called:
>>> gnucash-2.4.99-git-2012-08-16-r9ed978c+-setup.exe
>> Yes, I agree, we should add a date to make it sequential.
> Done.

Great!

>> Question: should we remember the previous build revision and skip the
>> build if it hasn't changed?  Assuming the previous build was successful?
> I certainly agree that would be a useful addition to decrease the
> server load, but to be honest I've seen enough of the Windows build
> system in the last couple of days for a while, so I'm not sure it will
> be for the near future.

It's not a huge deal.  It's more about disk space usage than server
load.  Yeah, I know, "disk is cheap".  Right now we store about 3-6
months of builds and then I start deleting non-relevant ones.  With svn
the packages would be exactly the same name, so every day's build would
overwrite the previous day of the same revision.  With git+date that
wont be the case.

Again, not a huge deal.  Just something to keep in mind.