Unplanned network outage of GnuCash Services

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 20 10:20:48 EDT 2012

Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> writes:

> Good morning,
>
> Many of you probably noticed the network outage that started yesterday
> afternoon, taking down email, wiki, subversion, and other gnucash
> services.  The problem was identified and fixed this morning:  a bad
> splice in an outdoor cable.  The splice was repaired, sealed, and is now
> held above ground which should prevent potential future water damage.
>
> Bits are now flowing again, albeit slowly.  (Now I get to call about the
> 900ms RTTs)

Ahh, I determined the cause of the 900ms RTT -- network saturation.
Oops.  Mea Culpa on that one.

Anyways, bits are flowing nicely.

> Sorry for the inconvenience,
>
> -derek
>
> PS: I am going to be planning another outage to migrate the power
> distribution of the servers after installing a new UPS system.  I'll
> send email about that outage once I plan it.  First I have to install
> the UPS ;)

This is still TBD.  I need to get some local help to install the UPS and
battery pack -- I can't quite lift the 70/150# pieces on my own.
Hopefully later this week.