Non-commiter github workflow

reubano reubano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 03:01:11 EDT 2012

Yawar Amin wrote

> Hi John,
>
> On 2012-08-21, at 12:41, John Ralls <jralls@> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that we want to encourage people to publish their forks on
>> Github, or anywhere else.
>
> I don't see the harm, as long as the website makes clear that
> Gnucash/gnucash is the main repo.
>
>> Accounting software isn't a domain where fast-and-loose development is a
>> good idea.
>
> Neither is an OS kernel ;-)
>
> Best,
>
> Yawar

I thought one goal of hosting on github was to encourage more developers to
contribute. If so, why would we want to discourage forking and thus
discourage more contribution? As long as contributors know they need to send
patch files instead of pull requests, I don't see the harm either.

John Ralls-2 wrote

> On Aug 21, 2012, at 10:43 AM, Yawar Amin <yawar.amin@> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> On 2012-08-21, at 12:41, John Ralls <jralls@> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure that we want to encourage people to publish their forks on
>>> Github, or anywhere else.
>>
>> I don't see the harm, as long as the website makes clear that
>> Gnucash/gnucash is the main repo.
>>
>>> Accounting software isn't a domain where fast-and-loose development is a
>>> good idea.
>>
>> Neither is an OS kernel ;-)
>
> Yup, and Torvalds doesn't accept pull requests via Github either [1].
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
> [1] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/7#issuecomment-2005630

Correct, but I haven't seen anywhere where he asks people not to fork his
github repo.