Credit notes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 31 10:09:33 EDT 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 6:20 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> If you look in an English thesaurus, you'll find that "invoice" and
>> "bill" are synonyms. Using one for Customer transactions and the other
>> for Vendor transactions isn't even necessary since they're in
>> different menus.
>
> At first they were not in different menus.  That got changed later.
> Moreover, it does matter, internally, whether it's a Customer, Vendor,
> or Employee owner, and that needs to be configured when the dialog gets
> created.  If everything had the same name then when you have a window
> pop up that says "Invoice", it doesn't let you know which flavor.
> Unfortunately the flavor is important.

What has that to do with anything? Of course the user gets a different dialog box when she  selects Business>Customer>New Statement or Business>Vendor>New Statement.

>>     Using "Purchase Document" and "Sales Document"
>> doesn't really help either, because the document you get from a Vendor
>> is always a "purchase document", regardless of the direction of the
>> cash flow. How about just "Statement" to replace both Invoice and
>> Bill?
>
> See above for why differentiation matters.  Also in some languages there
> *is* a different word for an invoice you send out vs. a bill that you
> receive.

Translation hints to get the right words in whatever language are a given. Anyway, we're looking for a term that can mean "You owe me money" ("Bill" or "Invoice") and "I owe you money" ("Credit Note"). "Statement" works.

Regards,
John Ralls