r21892 - gnucash/tags - Tagging the 2.4.10 release

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Feb 4 11:38:10 EST 2012

Op zaterdag 28 januari 2012 08:46:45 schreef John Ralls:

> OK, if it's crashing for you on XP, maybe it will for me too. I'll have a
> look in a bit.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I finally got some more information on this problem. I found a relevant
gnucash.trace. I don't know why I didn't find this before, but no matter.

It seems gtk 2.24.8 doesn't like a 16-bit display depth:

WARN <Gdk> gdk_win32_pixmap_new: depth = 16 not supported

This is then followed by a number of other gdk errors like
CRIT <Gdk> gdk_gc_new_with_values: assertion `drawable != NULL' failed
CRIT <Gdk> gdk_gc_set_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed
(repeat x times)

My Windows XP is installed in a xen VM, to which I normally connect via RDP,
currently at 16-bit. I haven't found a way yet to set the bit depth to 24 via
RDP.

Just to continue with the test, I have connected to the VM via the xen console
and set the depth to 24-bit there. In this configuration GnuCash starts fine.
The trade-offs are that my screen is now only 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024,
and the xen console is unworkably slow. I also used a VNC connection via
TightVNC. This can be configured to use 24-bit at 1024x768 as well, but there
I get horrible visual artifacts caused by the mouse movement.

So I think we have found the cause and as far as I'm concerned this shouldn't
be blocking the 2.4.10 release anymore.

I'm not sure if it's worth reporting a bug against gtk for this. It sure
complicates my gnucash on Windows development work right now. But perhaps I
can get rdp to work in 24-bit.

Should we mention it in the our release notes that from now on GnuCash on
Windows requires at least a monitor setting of 24-bit depth ?

Geert