Memory Problem

Bob Brush gnucash at wvit.net
Mon Feb 13 12:10:19 EST 2012

I am experiencing huge jumps in memory usage with each autosave, usually
on the order of 100 - 200 meg per save, it took me a while to figure out
a trigger.  The initial symptons were sluggish reponse, so I opened  the
system monitor to see what was causing the slow down and noticed gnucash
using 1.5G of memory, usually it is only 200meg or so.

My test situation:

Open Gnucash, find any random invoice, unpost it, and press the save
button.  Notice the memory jump.  Now post it and save, another memory
jump.  You can continue to toggle and save as the memory goes out of
control.  It seems to get unstable around 2.5 Gig of memory, but that
could be related to available memory?

Saturday I was running r21570 when I noticed the problem, Sunday I
uninistalled and pulled a new r22007, but same problem. I thought it
might be from an incomplete uninstall, so I performed a make uninstall
then manually deleted the folders left over.  Convinced I had a fresh
slate I reinstalled, but had the same results.  Today I tried to open
the file at work, using a different computer and different version of
gnucash, but it informed me that because it is from a newer version of
gnucash it wouldn't be able to open.  So I uninstalled the old one, then
installed the new version, r22012.  It has the same problem, although
this is a different machine.  I also created a new test file, only 4k,
and it has a similar memory problem, although only 1-2 meg of memory at
a time, so after toggling 10 or so times it was only up to 60meg of
memory, after starting around 40meg, not good, but it would take days
before it was a problem..

OS: Linux 3.2.3-2.fc16.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Feb 3 19:57:53 UTC 2012 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Can anyone confirm a similar problem?  I am wondering if this problem is
program or file related.

My file size, if that is important:
4.6m Feb 4
4.5m Jan 24