Building GnuCash on MacOSX Lion

Reuben Cummings reubano at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:30:28 EST 2012

Using the instructions from
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building I have
successfully built jhbuild and gnucash. However, I'm stuck on how to
deal with this step:

"Note: Because of code in WebkitGTK, Gnucash requires Leopard (OSX
10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6) to build. To get around this, you'll have
to clone the gnucash-on-osx repository, edit gnucash.modules so that
gnucash-unstable and gnucash-svn use the same dependencies as gnucash
and to use --with-html-engine="gtkhtml", change the moduleset line in
.jhbuildrc-custom to point to your local version, and then build. If
that sounds too daunting then it probably is."

My questions are:

1. Will doing this stop gnucash from crashing on startup?

Currently, I get with the following error
GConf-WARNING **: Failed to load source
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system": Failed: Could not make
directory `/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system': No such file or directory
Failed to load key /apps/gnucash/general/show_splash_screen: Failed to
contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need
to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due
to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session:
/Users/admin/gnucash-stable/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with
the following error: Autolaunch requested, but X11 support not
compiled in.
Cannot continue.
)Failed to load key
/apps/gnucash/dialogs/tip_of_the_day/show_at_startup: Failed to
contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need
to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due
to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session:
/Users/admin/gnucash-stable/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with
the following error: Autolaunch requested, but X11 support not
compiled in.
Cannot continue.
(a very similar problem is also described in detail at
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-February/019031.html)

2. Can I enable python-bindings by compiling with MacPorts
(http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/MacPortsDetail#Compiling_on_your_own)?

3. If not (2), can someone provide step-by-step instructions for the
note above? (I can figure out the clone
git://github.com/jralls/gnucash-on-osx.git part but am lost
otherwise.)

Thanks!

- Reuben