xaccAccountEqual ?

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Mon Jan 9 03:57:49 EST 2012

Zitat von Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>:
> There's lots more here than needed for report generation, true.  But I'm
> sure there are going to be other things the scripting interface is good
> for, for which we may need to expose those internals.  So I vote no
> change here, for now.
>
> But when it gets documented properly, one of the things that's going to
> have to be decided is just which of the internals are going to be the
> official interface, which ought to be preserved during further
> development, and which of them, though useful in the moment, are *not*
> guaranteed to be there in the next revision.

I think you're getting the scope of the project wrong. The gnucash
project is about the well-to-use finance management application
software. There isn't any additional main goal about a (properly
structured) programming library. If you're looking at the source code
as if the project were to create a programming library, you will get
it wrong. We're an application software. Incidentally, the application
code base itself tries to be structured into several layered
libraries, but those library APIs often enough turn out not to be
suitable layers of abstraction, so they will get changed subsequently.

I agree this makes learning about the software rather hard, which is
one of the major problems of the project. But apart from the learning
curve, the library APIs are very much allowed to change, because the
APIs are not our goal. Our goal is the application software.

Best Regards,

Christian