Longer term projects

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 12 14:53:24 EST 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 11:33 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, January 12, 2012 2:29 pm, Phil Longstaff wrote:
>> I hadn't seen GSettings before.  Interesting.  I had come up with
>> gnc_prefs object system which seems to work in a similar manner to
>> GSettings.  GSettings also allows alternate backends, so we can somewhat
>> transparently have different sets of settings (global, per-file, per-user,
>> per-user-per-file) with a common API.
>>
>> It was introduced in 2.26.  Is that too new for all of our supported
>> platforms?
>
> Fedora 15 only has gtk-2.24

Which is what goes with GLib 2-26. It's also the last release of Gtk2; Fedora15 also has Gtk3-3.0.12. Mattias Classen, who's the Gtk+ maintainer is also a RedHat employee and the package maintainer for Fedora, so Fedora is always pretty current. A currently-patched Fedora 15 will have GLib-2.28.8 [1]

But RHEL6 (the current version) is at Gtk-2.18/Glib-2.20, which is what we decided a year ago to be our baseline for GC2.6.

But for the Gtk3 version of Gnucash, GSettings is absolutely appropriate -- assuming it does what we want.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/glib2?_csrf_token=50b8e6f9f9d00f63bd31da083ccc080a3a51289e