Building gnucash on Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 22 13:06:40 EST 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 22 January 2012 17:04, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2012, at 7:48 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>>> I have built GC 2.4 (git branch tip) on ubuntu 12.04 alpha.  When I
>>> run it it says that the configuration data used to specify default
>>> settings has not been setup and asks if I want to do that, but if I
>>> say I do it brings up a small window with title Update gconf but
>>> nothing in it other than the text:
>>> [a GnomeDruid]
>>> Is this a bug or am I missing something?
>>>
>>> If I tell it to skip the setup then I am able to carry on and use GC
>>> but I get the warning again when I start up next time.
>>
>> There should be more diagnostic information in wherever you're sending stderr, but in general I see that box when something's gone wrong with dbus.
>
> I am running it from the terminal and don't get anything there (just
> the warning about it being a development version) and nothing in dmesg
> or syslog.  Is there anything else I can look at?
>
> By the way the warning says that the last stable version was 2.4.4 and
> the next will be 2.6 which doesn't seem quite right.  I am building
> from the tip of the 2.4 branch on git.

The tracefile, of course. GConf itself uses g_log just like Gnucash, so any messages it emits will be there. You could also try running gconftool-2; it might give you some clues about what's gone wrong.

The stable version warning is really written for trunk, and 2.4.4 was the last release made from trunk before we branched 2.4 so we could work on other stuff in trunk. Not that anyone has bothered to update the message in trunk, either...

Regards,
John Ralls