Longer term projects

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 29 17:50:48 EST 2012

On Jan 29, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Phil Longstaff wrote:

> I was thinking more along the lines that currently, any piece of code can register for qof events and receive a callback whenever anything changes in any transaction.  Do we want to keep this kind of behavior?

No, I don't think so. AFAICT it's used mostly for GUI synchronization, and it's a lot more efficient for the GUI elements displaying an engine object to connect to "notify" on that object. If there are cases where code would want to know about any "notify", it can register an emission hook and wade through the results just like now.

The difficult bit is going to be passing those signals through to Guile code. I haven't looked yet to see if it's actually needed, but the Guile-GObject code hasn't been maintained in years and probably doesn't work any more, so we'd have to provide some way to connect ourselves. (Yes, I know that the GObject-Introspection page on GnomeLive! says there's a Guile port[1], but it's two guys with very little activity. I wouldn't want to depend on that.)

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://gitorious.org/guile-gir