Contribution and GSoC

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Mar 15 10:36:23 EDT 2012

Oops, failed to copy the list:

On Mar 14, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Parthasarathy Gopavarapu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Parthasarathy.G from IIT Madras ( India ). I am a Second year CSE
> student. I am interested in contributing to GnuCash in Google Summer of
> Code this year. Can anyone please guide me regarding this?

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2012#Student_Participants_Application.

If Gnucash is accepted as a project (we'll know at noon Friday California time), you'll have to come up with a project and apply to Google. We'll review all of the applications we receive and select the two we think fit best with what the mentors are able to support and whose applicants seem most likely to succeed.

If you haven't done already, you should clone git://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git and build branch trunk, using the instructions at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git for cloning and http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building for build instructions. It will help a lot to understand the code that your project will integrate with as you develop your project plan for submission.

Once you've worked up a project idea -- and before you apply -- it's a good idea to bring it up here so that we can help you to refine it.  A lot of students get overly ambitious about how much they can accomplish in 10 weeks.

Regards,
John Ralls