LWN: Accounting systems: a rant and a quest

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 11 10:33:48 EDT 2012

Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> writes:

> On 10.5.2012 15:33, Herbert Thoma wrote:
>> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/496158/298f4c1ec6376289/
>>
>> Quote from the comments:
>> "GnuCash after its guille-inflicted near death experience (how many volunteers you
>> find maintaining Scheme-based accounting package? The answer has been proven to be
>> zero) has now Python API ..."
>>
>> If only we could come of with a Python report system.
>
> Sorry, I am little bit out of touch ... I thought that port from
> Scheme is much more advanced than it apparently is.

I don't understand what you mean by "port from Scheme"?  GnuCash still
uses all the scheme it has been using for years.  The new thing is that
there are *also* python bindings (in development) that can be used to
write python scripts to manipulate gnucash data.