Git migration - next iteration

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 1 11:01:46 EDT 2012

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

>> FYI, I was looking into something like gitolite for code.gnucash.org
>> Not sure if there is something better?
>>
> I don't know. I have never set up a git server myself. I have quickly
> browsed through the basic documentation. At first sight I'm wondering
> what advantages does gitolite provide compared to a plain ssh+git
> setup similar to what we currently use for svn ?

The benefit is that you don't need a local account on the server.  We
can delegate git admin rights so that any 'admin' can add new people.

> Perhaps the ability to have multiple admins  that can manage the whole
> git setup, which I consider an advantage.

Yes, exactly.

> I didn't see a web interface (other than a reference to the external
> gitweb tool, which is used for the kernel). I don't know if we need
> one for code.gnucash.org. I'm just thinking out loud as we had trac
> for svn. But for git we can use github as webinterface.

True.  We could *try* to set up something like gitweb.

> Without wanting to push you, did you have a (rough) time frame in mind
> to set something up for testing ?

If we decide what we want I can try to set it up relatively quickly.
The IETF is next week and I'm out of town the following weekend, so if I
don't get it done by Saturday it might have to wait for a week or two.