Git migration - github vs code.gnucash.org

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 1 11:10:09 EDT 2012

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

[snip]
> Let's continue to build on this. I propose this setup:
>
> One master repo hosted on github. One canonical repo on
> code.gnucash.org pulls periodically from this master repo to keep in
> sync.
>
> Only selected developers have commit access to the github
> repository. This is all access control we need here.
>
> All others that wish to contribute have to fork/clone this repository
> and send in patches.

I would suggest that developers commit to code.gnucash.org, which can
then push to github.

[snip]
> I have not really decided yet how to handle access control to the
> canonical repository on code.gnucash.org yet. In principle nobody
> needs to push anything to this repo. It should simply fully
> automatically pull from the github master repo. But just in case for
> maintenance or other situations, I think it makes sense to allow push
> access by the same developers that currently can commit to svn on
> code.gnucash.org.

It depends how we do it.  Either nobody writes directly to code, or
nobody writes directly to the gitbug master.

> I have deliberately skipped implementation details in this mail (how
> to enforce access control, how to trigger push/pull requests,...). I
> first would like to come to a consensus on the concept. Then work out
> the details.

It is possible that some of the details might encourage a particular
architecture.

> So any issues with this proposal ? (If so, please use bugzilla, not
> the github issue tracker ;p ). Or if you agree, please state so as
> well, so we can get an idea if we can pursue this proposal or not.

LOL...