Git migration - github vs code.gnucash.org

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 6 10:07:06 EST 2012

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> I'd rather see it the other way. If developers commit to
> code.gnucash.org, while all others fork from github you get a similar
> indirection like we have now with svn. I don't like that. It's a
> source for all kinds of small errors and sync irregularities. I have
> had to clean my local svn directory in git countless times because if
> this. This is no doubt partly because git and svn are two completely
> different systems, but I can envision small issues like this also in a
> pure git environment. I clearly prefer github to be the repository
> where all activity happens and code.gnucash.org a pristine canonical
> copy.

I suspect that a lot of the issues you have seen are due to the
svn<->git irregularities.  If everything is GIT then I doubt you'll see
the same types of issues.

> For non-committers, github is clearly the most interesting choice:
> it's higly visible and a well-known brand. That's where we most easily
> will come in contact with potential new contributors. I think we all
> agree we should leverage that benefit. For me then as a committer, I
> would really find it more easy if I only have to deal with one
> upstream repo in my daily activity instead of two.

Sure.  I don't object to using github.  I view it in the same way as I