Git migration - github vs code.gnucash.org

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 10:00:57 EST 2012

On Friday 09 Nov 2012, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Ngewi Fet <ngewif at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> >     John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
> >     > Why can't we set up commit hooks on each that immediately push to
> >     > the other? Yes, there's a small chance of a conflict if two people
> >     > push changes of the same file to each repository at the same
> >     > moment, but the team is so small that that likelihood is
> >     > infinitesimal.
> >
> >     My main concern is that code.gnucash.org winds up with changes that
> >     weren't pushed by an 'authorized' developer.
> >
> > My knowledge on these matters may be limited, but I was just wondering:
> > if Gnucash is setup as an organization on Github and the core devs have
> > access to this repo, then nothing would ever get into it which was not
> > pushed or merged by a core dev right? So the sync b/w GitHub and
> > code.gnucash.org would only deal with commits from core devs.
> > So how would the scenario you describe occur?
>
> For example, if someone breaks into github.. again?  (Yes, it has been
> done before).  I'd rather be in control of my own destiny rather than
> depending on some other organization.
>
> I understand that with git it is much harder to manipulate the sources
> than with something like SVN or CVS, but I'd still rather limit the
> exposure.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Ngewi
>
> -derek
Surely the point with Git is that it is multi-master.  So you can have
the master on code.gnucash.org and a clone on github.  That way you have
control over your master, and everyone else can find code where they expect
it.  You also have control over when it gets pushed from code.gnucash.org
to github.  The beauty is that if someone does some work from the github
version it is easy to get it back onto the code.gnucash.org version.

You can lock down the permissions on the code.gnucache.org version and
thus keep it secure, and are saved the bandwidth of serving it to anyone
who wants to clone it onto their own machine.

David