Oldest supported OS X version

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Nov 17 03:02:00 EST 2012

On 16-11-12 00:48, John Ralls wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>
>> What is the oldest version of OS X we support (particularly for trunk) ?
>>
>> I'm asking because I'm doing some guile cleanups in trunk and incidentally noticed several parts (unrelated to guile) where exceptions are written in code to cater for old OS X versions (10.1, 10.2,...). If these versions are no longer supported (for example because we already use library versions that are not supported on those systems), I am inclined to remove these.
>>
>> I know we have a quartz build and also fink/macports builds. So I'm interested to know for each of those.
> Let's peg it at 10.5, which is I think the earliest for which one can build WebKitGtk. That's also the last version which supported PowerPC Macs, and it's what I've been building the app-bundles to support.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Those are good arguments.

I have two follow up questions:
- Should we add a runtime check to prevent users from trying to run a
newer package on an unsupported OS X version ?
- Should we mention this somewhere on the download page ? Perhaps
similar to how we handle this with Windows: the download section there
reads "Windows XP, Vista, 7". Starting with GnuCash 2.6 we may change
the OS X download section to read "Mac OS X Leopard and up". I'm not
sure that will improve readability of the download block though.

Geert