Simultaneous release of gnucash and gnucash-docs ?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Oct 5 04:13:10 EDT 2012

On 03-10-12 00:15, mrcardoor wrote:
> Gert,
It's Geert, not Gert but I know that's what you meant ;)

>   I might be overlooking something but what about including a symbolic
> link in the gnucash-docs patch that would redirect help queries in
> gnucash 2.4.x (or if you rather, yelp) to the proper directory?

Thanks for your suggestion. I had thought of this and I know it works. I
had created some symlinks manually to verify if the new locations work well.

I didn't pursue this solution because I don't know how to updated the
makefile in a way that distro maintainers can use it as is. In the
makefiles several macros are used. For creating directories there is a
"macro" called $mkinstalldirs, for copying files there is $INSTALL_DATA.
I may be wrong, but I thought package management systems (rpm, dpkg,...)
use their own code to replace these. I didn't find a useful macro to
create a symlink so I am unsure what to do here.

If I use ln -s in the make install step and rm <link> in the uninstall
step, would that be ok for packagers ? I have no idea. If so, that would
be an easy solution indeed.

Geert