Dropping libgnome

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Sep 10 16:17:49 EDT 2012

One of the things I wanted to get done before 2.6 was dropping our
dependency on libgnome. For the reasons why, see [1] and  [2].

With my last series of commits, I managed to drop our dependency on
libgnome, libgnomeui and their dependencies. The only real gnome
dependency remaining is libgnomecanvas. But according to the information
in [2] there currently doesn't seem to be an official alternative for it
yet. So that should be ok.

I adapted the windows build scripts to no longer install and ship the
dropped libraries. The Windows installer got 4Mb smaller as a result :)

It may be interesting for the other platform builders to do a similar
cleanup (GnuCash/OSX-Quarz, Macports,...)

These are the libraries I dropped from the Windows build:
- gnome-vfs
- libbonobo
- libbonoboui
- libgnome
- libgnomeui
- popt

You can check if your build scripts still depend on these. The should be
safely removable since r22381.

Geert

[1] https://live.gnome.org/LibgnomeMustDie
[2] https://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley