Fwd: Re: help not working

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:04:25 EDT 2012

Am 25.09.2012 14:50, schrieb Geert Janssens:
> On 25-09-12 13:37, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>> Hi Geert,
>>
>> Am 25.09.2012 10:45, schrieb Geert Janssens:
>>> yelp ghelp:gnucash-help
>> yelp ghelp:gnucash-help
>> Die Adresse »ghelp:gnucash-help« verweist nicht auf eine gültige Seite.
>>
>> LANG=C yelp ghelp:gnucash-help
>> The URI ‘ghelp:gnucash-help’ does not point to a valid page.
>>
>> OTOH
>> yelp
>> ghelp:///usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash/de_DE/gnucash-help.xml and
>> yelp ghelp:///usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help.xml
>> are working - just wondering for 3 '/'.
>>
> It seems to me that openSuse installs the help files in a different
> location than Fedora does. A default install on Fedora would install
> gnucash-help in
> /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help.xml
> while from your message it seems openSuse uses
> /usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help.xml or is that a
> custom install location for a local build ?

I don't know, why the OP did it this way, but
 /usr/share/gnucash/gnome links back to
 /usr/share/gnome, so the standard path
 yelp ghelp:///usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help.xml
works also
 yelp /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help.xml too

> The bug you refer to seems
> to use the same paths as Fedora though.

> In any case, the Fedora path no longer works with the ghelp syntax.
> Instead it now has to be
> /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash-help/C/gnucash-help.xml
>
> Same goes for the gnucash-guide, which used to be installed in
> /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-guide.xml
> and is now expected in
> /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/C/gnucash-guide.xml
>
> So the main subdirectory under help should be named after the main xml
> document.
>
> Presuming the paths you use are the default installation location on
> suse, you could try to temporarily create two symlinks to test this:
> /usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash-help ->
> /usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash
> /usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash-guide ->
> /usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash
>
> And then see if "yelp ghelp:gnucash-help" does work.

I forgot to mention:
it is still opensuse 12.1;
yelp --version
yelp 3.2.1

If somebody else is interested:
 su -                         # Enter root password
  cd /usr/share/gnome/help
  ln -s gnucash gnucash-help
  ln -s gnucash gnucash-guide
 exit
 yelp ghelp:gnucash-help      # OK
 yelp ghelp:gnucash-guide     # OK
 gnucash                      # 2.4.11
# Dieses Programm wurde aus r22264M am 2012-08-10 erstellt.
 <F1>                         # Dokumentation nicht gefunden
gnucash
# SVN r22423M am 2012-09-24 erstellt.
<F1>                          # yelp with "GnuCash Hilfe"

So it seems to work as expected.

Just a note: it doesn't react on ^C in the start console. And the INFO
messages in the console are annoying, but that is another thread.

:
> I have read the bug and the solution that was chosen [1] (patching
> suse-help to not change ghelp into help when running gnome).
>
> This patch will probably fix the problem for the old style of help
> invocation (which remains in place for the 2.4 series). Though I just
> discovered that the old libgnome way of finding help files doesn't seem
> to work with the new pathnames that I intend to use with the next
> documentation release. I'll have to go to the drawing board with that part.
>
> Whether it will still work with the new style of help invocation
> (gtk_show_uri ("ghelp:gnucash-help")) will have to be tested. It depends
> on which tool is configured to handle x-scheme-handler/ghelp. On my
> system, that is yelp, regardless of the desktop environment. If it is
> susehelp on opensuse, it will replace ghelp: with help: again for kde
> users. I have no idea if that would work.
>
> As a similar test, you could try to open the help for planner (another
> gtk based application using the exact same code to load the help file).
> What does that do on openSuse with kde ?

planner
<F1> Planner User Guide V0.14

So that works.

> Geert