r22869 - gnucash/trunk/packaging/win32 - Win32 build: Can we get along without libgsf-gnome?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Apr 9 11:27:05 EDT 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 7:49 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>>> Great news.  And thanks.  I wonder if we need a periodic reset of that
>>> directory?
>>
>> It would be nice if our build machinery could detect updated versions
>> of dependencies and automatically build them when found. Jhbuild does
>> this, but unfortunately nobody has yet succeeded in getting it to work
>> reliably on Win32.
>
> How does it detect that there's been a new release?  In our case we do
> want quazi-stable dependencies, in particular on the stable build.  We
> don't always want to build against the latest-and-greatest because they
> could introduce regressions.  c.f. the libofx crash we're seeing on
> windows.

It doesn't automagically detect new releases, it just recognizes that what's specified
in its control file is different from what it built last time.

> I thought we did have code that would rebuild a dependency if we upgrade
> it explicitly, but perhaps not?

No, I think it just checks that the dependency is present without a version check. If
it's supposed to do more that part is clearly not working.

Regards,
John Ralls