Advise needed on remote build hosts

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Mon Aug 5 16:37:23 EDT 2013

Hi Paul,

I don't have too much experience with remote build hosts. However,
"Hudson/Jenkins" is probably not what you need. Those are a management
interface for running a separate build host, intended to run regular builds
and unittests, and report the outcome to the developer community in a variety
of ways. If you set it up yourself, you would have to spend considerable time
to get a gnucash build to run automatically, so that the Hudson server can
report the build result to you. Also, it is intended to fetch updated source
code from some repository. You would have to set up your own repository (git
or similar) where you send each modification from your slow laptop, then wait
to have a build triggered to Hudson, then receive the result from there.

Another option for you might be to consider Distcc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distcc
https://code.google.com/p/distcc/
This is not a build host per se, but the tool will distribute the compilation
step across a network. In your case, the tool can distribute most of the
compilation load to your remote fast computer and only a small part is done on
your local slow computer. However, this of course only works with a fast
network connection.

If you have to deal only with occasional and/or slow connections, indeed
Hudson/Jenkins with a private git repository on the Hudson server might be an
option for you.

Regards,

Christian