Strategy for deleting wiki spam pages

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Aug 10 19:13:30 EDT 2013

On Aug 10, 2013, at 2:13 PM, Christian Stimming <christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I noticed you regularly delete spam pages in our wiki, which is a very good
> thing to do. As you and I and hopefully others have noticed, we now get
> approx. 1-5 spam pages created every day, which have to be deleted manually.
>
> This is even though new pages can be created by users who have been registered
> for more than x days. However, once you check the RecentChanges with a view
> mode that shows the new user registrations, we notice that every day there are
> approx. 50 new users being registered! Some of these will stay silent for a
> few days, then - after the waiting period is over - create the spam page. This
> way, the waiting period does nothing more than reducing the spam rate, but it
> doesn't cut it off completely anymore. This is the same for several months by
> now.
>
> I also don't have a good solution for this. I think I can contribute to a
> check of  the RecentChanges every 1-3 days, so that this spam is deleted
> manually. (The keyboard shortcuts help a bit: Alt-Shift-D for choosing the
> page's hyperlink for "Delete this page", then Ctrl-A, Del for deleting the
> deletion reason, then Tab-Tab-Enter for really pressing the delete button, and
> all this with many browser tabs in parallel between which I navigate with
> Ctrl-PgUp/Down.)
>
> However, I noticed in your spam deletions that you deleted only the normal
> pages, but not the user pages of those spammers. Probably you look at the
> RecentChanges page only with the subset of "Namespace = (Main)". I look at
> this page with the choice "Namespace = all". The backside of this is that I
> see those 100 new users every day and the edits scattered in between. The
> upside is that I see also the newly created spam userpages (in the "User:"
> namespace), and then I delete those as well. Do you think you can check for
> those as well, or do we need other solutions for this?
>
> Other wikis around have disabled the normal user registration altogether for
> this very same reason, see e.g.  http://elinux.org/Main_Page  . Maybe this is
> a possibility for us as well? The vast majority of edits in the actual content
> is done by known developers from here. By this, we can argue that an increased
> restriction of the write access doesn't do much harm, but would make our life
> a lot easier.

Christian,

I get notified of changes via RSS to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:NewPages rather than RecentChanges, and I check my RSS reader 2-3 times a day.

I don't remember seeing any spammer-user who'd created a user page, and when I follow the link to one that isn't blocked, I see the "not created" message and have no option to delete it. I looked at the last 2000 users who "have edits" and found none with User pages.Yet you delete a user page for everyone you block. What am I missing?

I'm absolutely in favor of taking a more aggressive approach. By shutting off the
"normal" registration, do you mean that new users would require an administrator to validate them?

Regards
John Ralls