Strategy for deleting wiki spam pages

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Aug 11 15:51:02 EDT 2013

Am Samstag, 10. August 2013, 16:13:30 schrieb John Ralls:
> Christian,
>
> I get notified of changes via RSS to
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:NewPages rather than RecentChanges,
> and I check my RSS reader 2-3 times a day.
>
> I don't remember seeing any spammer-user who'd created a user page, and when
> I follow the link to one that isn't blocked, I see the "not created"
> message and have no option to delete it. I looked at the last 2000 users
> who "have edits" and found none with User pages.Yet you delete a user page
> for everyone you block. What am I missing?

I think the RSS feed only shows the RecentChanges in the "(Main)" namespace
[1], which does not include the user pages. I look at the RecentChanges in the
"all" namespace [2] , which makes it harder to read, but shows some new pages
in the "User" namespace. In this view, I see the leftover spam user page
creations. I delete those and block the respective user, just as you delete
the normal pages and block those users.

> I'm absolutely in favor of taking a more aggressive approach. By shutting
> off the "normal" registration, do you mean that new users would require an
> administrator to validate them?

That's how I understand it, yes. I haven't found time to read the additional
information from mediawiki.org. Maybe there are technical solutions to this,
but if not, I'd prefer administrator validation over the continuous spam
pages.

Regards,

Christian

> Regards