Transaction register question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 19 12:08:58 EDT 2013

David,

David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:

[snip]
> Forms can and should contain navigation shortcuts.  They also do not
> need to be in a window that hides everything else in the display.  The
> fact that many sub-optimal forms exist is not an excuse to assert that
> optimized use of forms could not be better.
>
> In fact, I would consider the existing transaction editing scheme to be
> a rather sophisticated form of sorts that (unfortunately, in my opinion)
> is constrained (shoehorned?) to fit completely into the register view
> with no room for developments that could enhance both the developer's
> job and ultimately, the user experience.
>
> GnuCash is blessed with several really good developers.  I am sure that
> you can make this good software better.

You're using some very web-specific terminology here.  By your
definition I would say that the existing UI *does* use a form.  A very
dynamic form, but a form nonetheless.  Input *is* separate from
display.  Data input is specified based on your cursor position (which
admittedly can be in the middle of the "display" portion.   But I think
it's a misnomer to say that we don't already use "forms" for input.

I agree with Geert that we should not use a pop-up form for input.  That
would be too distracting and slow down input capabilities.