Error when running test suite

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 2 10:30:15 EST 2013

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>>> Geert,
>>>
>>> Well, print out to stderr. There is no log.
>>>
>>> OK. This is the third time this has come up on the list. In this
>>> particular case, it’s an easy change. r23451.
>>
>> Arguably the test shouldn't CRASH if the locales don't exist; it should
>> at least fail gracefully, no?
>

> OK, make the argument. Unit tests work by using g_assert, which
> crashes the test. That's by design, to make debugging easy. A better
> test-runner might trap the assert and close down a bit more
> gracefully, but gtester isn't that test runner.

There's a difference between a test failing and the environment being
incorrect (e.g. due to a missing locale).  In this case it's a broken
environment -- it's something easily correctable by someone running the
tests so IMHO the failure should not be fatal and instead should tell
the user about their broken environment.  It's not an issue that
requires a developer to look at it (in which case a crash is arguably
better, although personally I'd rather the crash be forced only while
debugging the test rather than while running a put "make check").