Documentation file format

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sat Dec 14 16:58:43 EST 2013

On Dec 14, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Christian Stimming <christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> I consider asciidoc also not very accessible for non-programmer writers. IMHO
> a new file format for our documentation should be much easier accessible for
> documentation writers. Those people are by definition almost surely no
> programmers. I don't think the mindset of asciidoc meets their approach to
> writing documentation. So: no, I don't think asciidoc is an improvement of the
> current docbook format. Sorry.
>
>> Conversion: I found a conversion tool that I *thought* might do the job,
>> SaxonHE9, a java tool (ugh), but it doesn't do it very well.  I tried a
>> couple of pages.  Some post conversion cleanup was needed to remove
>> artifacts but, the major issue was that image placeholders went missing. So
>> not good enough to make it an easy convert.  More research required on that
>> one.
>
> A proper conversion needs to be found for sure, but on the other hand, some
> manual work for a switch-over is fine as well. But the main reason for a new
> file format is what I've discussed before.

Well, the friendliest format for documenters is Microsoft Word, since pretty much any word processor will read it. We’ll get a lot of noise from the Open Source fanatics though.  Shouldn’t be too hard to make a toolchain to convert it into whatever distribution formats we want. Complexity there isn’t an issue because devs handle releases.

Regards,
John Ralls