r23631 - gnucash-docs/branches/2.4/guide/C - [23630] Change some tables from itemized to variable.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Dec 27 14:48:29 EST 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> On Friday 27 December 2013 08:16:26 John Ralls wrote:
> > On Dec 27, 2013, at 7:28 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this gnucash-docs branch actually used for anything?
> > >
> > > I know that code doesn't build it.
> >
> > Code should start building it, at least for this weekend. It holds the
> > 2.4 documentation; in spite of the obsolete version number, the
> > documentation in trunk is for, yes, trunk, i.e. 2.6. I want to
> > release a final 2.4 doc set along with the final 2.4 release this
> > weekend. I'll fix the revision number then.
> Actually the windows build should be using this branch. This is what I aimed to achieve in r23543. Code builds the trunk of documentation to make it accessible via the gnucash website. There's no nightly (or weekly) build for the 2.4 branch. It may make an interesting addition though.

A 2.6 weekly might be a good idea after we branch it. There's no point in doing anything more for 2.4, and anyway the migration to git next week will break further 2.4 builds.

Hmm. I think we want to change the web page to have more pointers, at least for a few months: We'll want to have links to 2.4.14 and 2.6.0 stable downloads and also to 2.4.3 and 2.6.0 stable documentation. We can have the box in the corner point to 2.6.0, because we do want new users to get that. The 2.4.14 news article can have links in it, which will keep it on the front page for a while, and the downloads page can add an "Old Stable Release (2.4.14)" section replacing "Unstable/Development", maybe until June or so.

It looks like the Japanese version of the Guide hasn't had any updates since 2011, and they were applied to both trunk and 2.4. I don't think we should publish that as "2.6.0".

> > That brings up a question, though: The current revision of the 2.4
> > docs is 2.4.2. Should I make it 2.4.14 to match the GnuCash release
> > or 2.4.3 to maintain the documentation sequence? Trunk will obviously
> > go to 2.6.0.
> In the past I maintained the documentation sequence.
> >
> > For the 2.6 series, should we be releasing new docs along with each GC
> > release, keeping the versions in sync?
> That would probably be a good idea. That way we can code the tag build to look for a matching documentation tag on Windows.

OK. I've updated the "Release Process" wiki page with a reminder to do a documentation release in parallel.