cmd line: import of transactions and invoice data

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Dec 31 11:49:36 EST 2013

On Dec 31, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Jannick <jannick.news at gmail.com> wrote:

> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert <at> telenet.be> writes:
>

>> On Tuesday 31 December 2013 10:34:41 Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Sorry, no.  GnuCash is a GUI tool.  There is no command line
>>> interface.
>>>
>>> -derek
>>
>> to add to this, if your gnucash version has been compiled with python
> support, you could write
>> python scripts to do this for you on the command line. There is
> unfortunately not much
>> documentation on this feature. The example scripts that come with the
> python bindings may
>> be a good start.
>>
>> Geert
>>

> Thx for the quick replies! Hmm, too bad. But, Geert, picking up your idea -
> given that I am not good at compilation and at python - is the python
> support shipped with Win complilation?
>
> Coming from another (back-)end: Do you know if someone has gone down the
> implementation route to import data into the MySQL db? Or - more generally -
> if some app can cope with adding/changing transactions in the MySQL db?
>
> I am just racking my brain how to automatically import data (coming from
> different sources: hbci, invoice overviews, non-hbci bank transactions etc)
> to use all the good features coming with gnucash.

There's also the Guile/Scheme interface, which is actually a bit more comprehensive,
because parts of GnuCash are written in it, and those parts are of course accessible
from Scheme. Python only wraps the C functions.

No, the Win32 package isn't built with Python support.

Someone with deep knowledge of GnuCash's internals *could* write code that would
directly import transactions into a SQL database, but having that deep knowledge
would mean that he would be able to do the same via GnuCash's C or Scheme API
with less effort.

GnuCash has importers for QIF, OFX, HBCI, and CSV formats, it just lacks a command-line
interface for operating them.

A further warning: You're implying rather large-scale import operations, and I wonder
if perhaps your needs might exceed GnuCash's ability to scale. In spite of SourceForge's
recent inclusion of GnuCash in their "Enterprise Marketplace", GnuCash isn't an
enterprise-scale program.

Regards,
John Ralls