Notification mails for git repos - resend

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Feb 7 11:42:16 EST 2013

On 07-02-13 16:42, John Ralls wrote:
> Do we want to be sending commit-mail from gitolite while we're still committing to svn? ISTM that's something to turn on after we drop svn. Not that you shouldn't have done the work, of course. It's good to have everything ready, even if it's another year before we release 2.6 and switch to git for everything... just like last week's discussion about branching strategies.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

There are many aspects in your question, so I have several answers...

1. I would hope to see a 2.6 release sooner than that. I am aware that
may not be realistic though.

2. Regardless, I don't want to wait that long to fully switch to git. So
I'm steadily fixing each issue to prevents us to switch. The mail script
was one of them. Others that are still pending are:
- the website live update from git. I'm currently working with Derek and
Linas to get this set up
- the AUDIT prefix. I still have to investigate if I can approximate it
in the git mail script (probably I can)
- building 2.4 and tags from git on Windows, still to investigate also

That's also roughly the order in which I will try to fix things.

The website will not be a big obstacle. My intention is to switch all
website updates to git only as soon as Linas has configured the updates
on his server and I have run some tests. That would require the mail
notification from to be functional, because svn for the website will
then be disabled and hence won't send notifications anymore.

The website repo doesn't make use of the BP/AUDIT tagging, so it doesn't
have to wait for the mail notification fix in that area. The gnucash and
gnucash-docs repo do use it, so BP/AUDIT taggins is one requirement for
switching those repos.

The other requirement is a stable build from git for 2.4 and tags. If I
can manage to get those working reliably I think we can switch
completely switch sooner than 2.6

3. Even though it may take some time before we're fully in git, we can
already start sending mails from git and disable sending mails from svn
earlier. It's one less dependency on svn that way. As said, I will first
need to find a solution for the AUDIT feature before that can happen.
Working on that :)

4. The branching strategies discussion is the only really long-term
item. I don't think it would be useful to change our strategy for 2.4 still.

Geert