Beyond 2.6 (was:Re: Gnucash 2.5/6)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Feb 11 13:36:31 EST 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>>> As for Gtkmm, it's just a C++ interface wrapped around Gtk+. If we're
>>> dumping Gtk+ because we don't like the direction they're going, Gtkmm
>>> doesn't get us anywhere.
>>
>> Having argued that C++ in the backend in not such a big deal, I'm
>> going to turn around and point out that dropping Gtk+ in favor of wx,
>> Qt, or some other GUI framework isn't a easy job: That *is* a complete
>> rewrite, and there's a lot of it.
>>
>> Who would do it?
>
> I was just pointing out that if we had to spend a lot of time migrating
> to Gtk3 we might be better off spending the time migrating to something
> else.

OK. In fact we've (meaning Geert's) already done 90% of the job. All that's left is fixing the register to draw with Cairo surfaces instead of the ancient libgnome stuff. Not an easy job, but much easier than porting everything to Qt.

> I still wish I had written QOF in C++ instead of C a decade ago.  :-(

Me too. But that's not too hard to fix, once I figure out how to get GObject to inherit from a C++ object. The answer is no doubt somewhere in glibmm.
But it's not quite time for that yet.

Regards,
John Ralls