On Gtk3 (was:Re: Gnucash 2.5/6)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Feb 12 05:41:25 EST 2013

On 08-02-13 16:09, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
>
>> Forgot to mention: Gtk3 was indeed not on the agenda for 2.6. 2.6 is
>> only meant to be *ready* to be migrated. This means getting rid of all
>> the deprecated gtk symbols. Other than the register this is done. So
>> the register rewrite is actually important for this goal, whether we
>> use the GtkTreeView approach or the libgnome->cairo route.
> Personnaly I'd rather see us move to Qt instead of Gtk3 when that
> decision has to be made.  My reasoning is that I think the Gtk
> developers have lost sight of their target audience, and as a result
> keep removing features that are vital.  It's too much of a loose
> firehose, and IMHO shouldn't be supported anymore.  Indeed, for my next
> desktop re-install I plan to move away from a Gnome desktop and over to
> XFCE..
With Gtk3 the Gnome project has chosen a very different course which
turns out to be very controversial as well. I have both seen people who
absolutely love it and people who totally can't stand it. My point of
view? I'm pretty neutral as I don't use it ;) I only used Gnome 2 for a
while a long time ago, switched to kde then and never returned (this is
not meant as a kde promo!).

It doesn't look to me they have lost sight of their target audience
though. I rather think they have deliberately redefined their target
audience. Inevitable that means some people that used to be targeted no
longer are and hence don't like the new experience. I think many
long-time knowledgeable computer users fall into that category. Less
experienced users seem to like it a lot more.

I'm not here to defend the Gnome project's decisions though. I'm just
saying whether gtk3 is a good thing or not is rather subjective.

Geert