CRLF issues on checkout (was Re: Gnucash 2.5/6 - jqplot)

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sat Feb 23 11:07:47 EST 2013

Am Samstag, 23. Februar 2013, 11:57:18 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> [...]

I think the easiest way out here (as long as we're still using SVN) is to set
the per-file SVN property svn:eol-style to some fixed value (here: LF). This
ensures the file get one canonical set of eol markers.

However, setting this property requires a client-side action: Either the file
~/.subversion/config needs some manual changes as described here

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5671406/force-svneol-style-native-on-
the-server

which sets the property at the initial checkin of each file, or we need to do
one additional SVN commit to set that property, which I've just done in
r22809.

Note: For most of our *.h / *.c files I've also done this manually in e.g.
r20217 or r18959, which explains why we didn't have any trouble with those
files and line endings. I strongly suggest for every developer to modify one's
own ~/.subversion/config to set svn:eol-style=LF for *.h, *.c so that we
continue with a consistent setting of the line endings.

As for git: The gitattributes feature is probably the most closely matching
feature of git, related to the svn:eol-style property. Once git-1.8 has been
distributed widely enough, we probably will have this problem solved with
git's gitattributes file on the git side as well. Until then, we should
probably keep an eye on setting svn:eol-style correctly.

Regards,

Christian