Making GnuCash development on Windows easier, one step at the time

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Jan 20 14:26:35 EST 2013

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2013, 15:31:10 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> >   %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\development
> >
> > The actual naming choice is up to you or whoever changes the code, but
> > we
> > should pick up the availability of the %HOMEPATH%.
>
> These are very good suggestions, thanks. I quickly checked and both
> variables are available already in WinXP, so I can use them without any
> further Windows version checking.
>
> On the other hand, using these variables will result in a base path
> containing spaces (at least on Windows XP), which until now is still
> explicitly discouraged in our guidelines for Windows GnuCash developers.
> So we risk opening a can of worms with this change. But now is as good a
> time as any to try and clean up that mess for once and for all.

Oh, you're right. Paths with spaces will continue to give us headaches at each
and every place that uses normal Unix shell scripts. That would be enough of a
reason to stick to a direct installation in c:\, unfortunately.

It's better in packages that use cmake and/or that were already checked for
whether they run into problems, but in general, for any Unix shell script the
probability is very high that it implicitly requires paths without spaces.

Regards,

Christian