Issue running git-svn-mirror script on code

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 23 10:15:32 EST 2013

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> I realised this morning that the choice of (svn) URL is no longer
>> important. The main concern to keep the original URL was to preserve
>> the commit hashes.  But due to the updates to the authors file, the
>> svn import into git will result in new hashes starting with the first
>> commit which has a corrected author, so preserving hashes is no
>> longer an option.
>>
>> So if you think it would be more efficient, we can do the import from
>> another url, like your original file:/// or using code.gnucash.org
>> (depending on which string you would like to see appear in the commit
>> messages).
>>
>> I saw the import was completed by now, so I'm not sure if it will
>> gain us much still by starting over once again.
>>
>> The only reason I could really think of is that once we really drop
>> svn, the usr svn.gnucash.org has little meaning left, while
>> code.gnucash.org is more generic and will remain. So at some point in
>> time, the imported commits will display a non-existent url. On the
>> other hand, even with code.gnucash.org in the url, the svn paths will
>> eventually 404, so there always will be some inconsistency left.
>>
>> That is just a small inconsistency though, perhaps not worth redoing
>> the migration for.
>
> Geert,
>
> Not so fast. When you git-svn-dcommit, you'll use the svn+ssh URL, and
> your local commit will be hashed with the resulting svn id. The mirror
> git, regardless of where it's running, needs to create a commit with
> the same hash so that when it makes the loop back to your machine, git
> can recognize it as the same commit and fast-forward your repo.

Moreover, in my trials I have not noticed a significant speed difference
between the svn+ssh// vs. file:// URLs.  This is probably because in all
cases the limit is not on the transfer of data but on I/O and CPU
processing.  If I ran 'time' I suspect I might see a slight difference
on the initial import, but I think John's point of the dcommit
fastforward is more important.