How does GnuCash import OFX double entry transactions?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 24 15:57:07 EST 2013

Hi,

Ngewi Fet <ngewif at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
> I was wondering if someone can explain to me how GnuCash for desktop
> handles importing double entry transactions from OFX files. There is an OFX
> BANKACCTTO tag which specifies the destination account when used in
> conjunction with BANKACCTFROM. (see attached sample OFX)
>
> But it seems to be ignored during import. Does GnuCash take this into
> consideration or am I missing something?.

No, gnucash does not take this into account.  The importer is one-sided,
and doesn't consider your use case.  The OFX importer doesn't auto-map
both ends of a transaction together.  And the FITID is unique per
account, you are allowed to have the same ID in multiple accounts and
and not assume that it's the same transaction.

Moreover, OFX does NOT support split transactions.

> Right now, users of the Android app need to manually match double
> transactions again on the desktop which is a lot of work.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you want to have your app supply both ends of the same transaction
then you should use QIF, which supports what you are trying to do.
There's no way to do it with OFX.