Notification mails for git repos

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Jan 30 16:49:28 EST 2013

--On January 30, 2013 12:27:17 PM -0500 Yawar Amin
<yawar.amin at gmail.com> wrote:

> With a pure git solution, we can get rid of backporting and switch to
> daggy fixes (http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1595636, section
> 'Daggy Fixes and Cherry-picking', near the end). Benefits:
> backporting will become simply merging; the dag will show us exactly
> where a fix was made and to which branches it was applied.

That's an interesting idea, but it seems to me that the real issue with
it is deciding which revision to base the fix on.  The article says to
use bisect to find the first revision that introduced the bug, but with
a project as big as GnuCash, where some bugs have been around for
years, that would be painful.

             Mike