How to handle multiple long-term branches (was Re: Notification mails for git repos)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Jan 31 13:54:49 EST 2013

We have quite a debate going on here on the development process. We have
a working process that is in my opinion influenced by svn's limitations
and I'm currently interested in what process improvements we could make
if we are no longer bound by those limitations.

At some point our development will happen purely in git. I don't have
first hand experience with other git projects and their processes. If
you are, I'm very interested to hear such other git hosted projects
tackle branching, and interchanging commits between branches (like say a
stable branch and a development branch).

Please share your knowledge in other git projects, so we can learn and
find an optimal process tailored to our code base and community size.

Maybe the end result is that we change nothing. Which would be fine if
that turns out to work best for the GnuCash project, but I do like to
compare possibilities first.

Thanks,

Geert