Unit Testing (was: Re: Notification mails for git repos)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 31 14:45:15 EST 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

>>> No, we're not set up for that. But I believe it should be one of our goals to get better test coverage. I know you have this on your agenda and I'm quite happy about it.
>>> A couple of times I started looking into writing tests myself, but never managed to actually produce some due to lack of time and experience. Perhaps this is a good time to ask:
>>> a. do you know of a good introduction to unit testing ?
>>> b. is there some documentation on the unit testing framework used in gnucash ? How should a test be constructed ? Are there particular functions that should be used ? Things like that.
>>>
>> We have a wiki page [2] on the subject, but it's a bit light. I'll work on that a bit. Perhaps you (and others) could look it over and suggest more topics that it needs to cover.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development_Process#Changeset_Auditing_Process
>> [2] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Testing
>>
> The wiki page is already a good starting point. Thanks. For some reason I hadn't found it before (probably didn't look hard enough).
>
> Any reason you have decided to the unstable documentation of the GLib testing framework ?

Sloth. When I'm working on that stuff, it's on master branches and I need to use the latest docs, so that's what I have bookmarked. Shouldn't have changed significantly, though: The first page of changes [1] goes back to 2008.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/log/glib/gtestutils.c